Sunday 19 September 2010

Anything you could do, I could do better. I can shoot Pinhole photos, better than you.

Remember how I told you in the intro post about even the most experienced pinhole photographer not being able to take a perfect photo every time. You do? Good because, remember this is my first time. 

My first photo had an exposure time of 3 minutes and was taken outside behind the bike cage. I placed the camera on top of a low brick wall with the pin hole facing a brick wall. 
Original

Negative 
I think that the image came out quite well considering it was my first time; I especially like the outline detail given by the bricks. It’s interesting how the building and the trees in the background with the sky contrast.
The slight blurring on the side of the building caused by the camera movement that has created an undefined outline, obviously happened at the beginning of the exposure as it was long enough for it to capture but not fully before it moved. In this photo you also get the circular lighting, something that isn't featured as much in the latter of the photos that I shot.

My second photo had an exposure time of 4 minutes and 30 seconds. I took this outside inside the bike cage and placed the camera inside one of the bikes baskets facing the wall that was in photo no.1.
Original


Negative 
With a longer exposure time there was more definition and detail to the photo. Also this photo had more layers to it starting with the basket then the guard thing that the bike was attached to the wall of the bike cage and ending with the brick wall of the building it’s facing. When considering the layers of the photo you need to study it, otherwise you'd quite easily miss the darker line going through the middle of the photo; which shows you where the outside pavement and wall meet.
I like how this is the sort of photo where you'd have to think about exactly where it is.


My third photo had an exposure time of 15 minutes and was shot inside the library, towards the back showing the window. I placed the camera on top of one of the bookcases looking outside.
Original

 Negative 
  
There’s so many things in this photo that you can easily miss or just look over, when I first looked at this I barely saw anything of interest and though it was quite bad. However on second glance I noticed, (what I thought was a smudge or a blur of colours at the bottom right) an outline of a computer and to the left of that the man working at his computer. His movement has caused the blurring but you can clearly see the outline of the computer, desk and his chair.
Then if you look "outside" through the window you can actually see the reflection of the library in the glass, showing all the computers.
Only downside of the photos was cause by me and that's my extremely noticeable fingerprints on the photo, which occurred whilst I was developing it.
Another thing I like about this photo is how it fades into the space on the paper that was exposed to the light; I see it as a nice natural effect.


My fourth photo had an exposure time of 17 minutes and was shot inside at the downstairs fire exit doors. I thought I might get a little creative and sat the camera in my lap at an angle so it was wedged in the crevice between my legs, when I sat down with my legs straight out.
 
Original

Negative 

I am not sure whether with less or more time would it be more detailed as, the contrasting colours of the black and white were quite strong on there own. However you are able to make out the door lever at the top and then the handlebars used to push open the door.
Considering the camera wasn't standing on its own I think that blurring is minimal with the faintest of shadows actually showing.


My fifth photo had an exposure time of 22 minutes and was shot inside the stairwell, I left the camera on the banister against the wall so that it captured both the up and down parts of the stairs.

Original

Negative

I can only think that the photo was over exposed so that's why nothing came up, however that doesn't explain the two black ovals, that did develop on the paper but I think they could be lights perhaps?


Any difficulties?
Despite trying my hardest to not get my fingerprints on the photos they still showed up. I really don't understand how it still happened as after around the second photo when I noticed I’d left fingerprints on the photo I tried not to touch the photos at all being extra careful with the tongs as well. But c'est la vie I guess it wasn't meant to be anyway I can always say that my fingerprints on the photos show the connection me the artist has with the photographs having found locations, shot photos, developed the project was hands on and that's exactly what the prints show.

No comments:

Post a Comment